As a member and owner of Virginia Credit Union, you have the opportunity to be considered to serve as a volunteer. There is no financial compensation. Personal satisfaction and the appreciation by VACU members are the rewards. A commitment to participate in regular meetings, training opportunities and other VACU activities is a condition for consideration.
Volunteer opportunities include:
- Board Director — Directors are elected to represent the membership for a four-year term. The Board of Directors employs the President and works with the President to develop strategic direction for VACU. Directors have a fiduciary responsibility to members for the overall performance of VACU. Directors are elected by the membership at an annual meeting upon recommendation of the Board. All VACU members will receive information on the nominees that will be presented at the annual meeting. To allow for advance notice to members about the nominees and proper vetting of candidates’ applications, there are no nominations from the floor at an annual meeting of the membership.
- Associate Board Director — Associate Directors participate in all Board activities but do not vote. Associates have the opportunity to learn about VACU through their participation in the deliberations of the Board. Up to two positions are selected by the Board. Appointees can serve up to two years, subject to reappointment by the Board at the end of one year.
- Supervisory Committee Member — The Supervisory Committee has the responsibility of oversight for the internal control environment that supports financial and operational reporting. The Committee oversees and reviews the activities of the internal audit department. The Supervisory Committee is also responsible for engaging an independent audit firm and reporting to the members at the annual meeting. The Committee has five members and they are appointed by the Board of Directors for a three-year term.
- Asset Liability Committee (ALCO) Member at Large — ALCO has responsibility to the Board for continuing oversight of asset/liability management. The Committee is charged with maintaining a meaningful balance between the needs of the members and sound financial management. Membership is comprised of Board members, senior staff and one member at large appointed by the Chairman of the Board of Directors.
- Advisory Council Member — Advisory Councils are established by VACU staff to help reach and embrace a community newly served by VACU branches. Council members serve as ambassadors and strong advocates for our credit union in areas where they live and work. They also serve as voices for their communities by suggesting ways in which we can improve services for them. VACU currently has two Advisory Councils – Fredericksburg and Farmville. Each Council can have up to five members appointed for a two-year term.
The Board appoints a Nominating Committee to recommend qualified candidates for expiring terms of Board and Supervisory Committee members. The Nominating Committee’s review includes incumbents, other volunteers and members at large who have submitted an application for a volunteer position. The Committee seeks the candidates that are most qualified to serve.
Inquiries about and applications for volunteer service can be made at any time. However, the application deadline is September 30 for applicants who wish to be considered for nomination to the Board of Directors at the following year's annual meeting. For inquiries and applications send an email to Kay Hagaman, Executive Assistant to the Board, or call (804) 560-5619 or (800) 285-5051, ext. 5619.