Paying for college isn't cheap and it’s getting more expensive every year. On top of tuition, there’s money for books, food and transportation.
Discuss with your parents the following options that could help with college costs:
- Start saving now. It will help with your expenses during college.
- Fill out the FAFSA. It’s the Free Application for Federal Student Aid to apply for grants, loans, and work-study funds.
- Choose the right school, whether it’s a 4-year public or private university or a 2-year community college.
- Apply for grants and scholarships. VACU offers a scholarship program for its members.
- Look into student loans. Remember, you'll have to pay back the money you borrow.
- Consider living at home. The money you could save on room and board, even for just one year, could cover a big chunk of tuition costs.
- Get tuition assistance. If you can’t pay for college right now, work for a company that offers tuition assistance for employees.