The Dorothy J. Hall Memorial Scholarship Program was established to help Virginia Credit Union members of any age who are working toward their first undergraduate degree.
Virginia Credit Union (VACU) will award scholarships for an amount up to $2,500 to 25 students enrolled in an accredited college or university for the 2015-2016 academic year.* The scholarship may not exceed the cost of education billed by the school. Scholarship funds will be paid directly to the school.
- Applicant must be a primary member of Virginia Credit Union (not just any credit union in Virginia) and must have joined VACU by September 30, 2014. Student must be the primary owner of a VACU account, not just a joint owner, and accounts must be in good standing. If you are unsure of your Virginia Credit Union membership status, please call (804) 323-6800 or (800) 285-6609 to verify it.
- Applicant must be a graduating high school senior or equivalent, or a college student (rising freshman, sophomore, junior, or senior) at an accredited college or university. The applicant may be in an undergraduate program or in an associate’s degree program at a community college. Graduate students are not eligible.
- Applicant must have a minimum 3.00 cumulative grade point average. The credit union will not calculate your grade point average.
- Applicant must take at least nine (9) credit hours per semester for the 2015-2016 academic year.
- VACU employees, directors, committee members, other volunteers and their families are not eligible. Previous scholarship recipients are not eligible.
Applicants will be evaluated on 4 equally weighted categories:
- Community service and volunteer work
- Hours devoted to work to help with the cost of education
- Extra-curricular activities
Applicants must submit:
- A completed Dorothy J. Hall Memorial Scholarship application, including an essay, submitted online.
- An official high school or college transcript for the most recently completed semester showing the total cumulative GPA. Transcripts should be sent directly from the school in a sealed, stamped envelope to: VACU Scholarship Administrator, Virginia Credit Union, P.O. Box 90010, Richmond, VA 23225-9010
Start or Resume Your Application
Completed application, essay and an official transcript must be received by VACU by the close of business on Tuesday, March 31, 2015. Scholarship applications will not be considered unless all required information is received by the deadline. VACU will not be responsible for lost, delayed or misdirected mail. Faxes will not be accepted.
If you have any questions, please contact the VACU Scholarship Administrator at (804) 323-6000 or (800) 285-5051, or email email@example.com.
*VACU pays prorated amounts (not to exceed $1,250 each semester) in the fall and spring to the college or university after an applicant’s acceptance by that institution. The second payment shall be forfeited if studies are discontinued or do not meet VACU’s minimum requirement of nine (9) hours per semester.