Congress is considering an overhaul of the federal tax code. The rules that have exempted credit unions from federal taxes for decades could be in jeopardy.
As a member of Virginia Credit Union, your help is needed to send a clear message to Washington. Credit unions are exempt from federal income taxes because they are not-for-profit, member-owned cooperatives. The federal income tax exemption for credit unions serves a vital purpose and must continue.
How to contact your Senators and Representative
Send a message to your Senators and Representative (suggested text is provided for your use):
- Visit DontTaxMyCreditUnion.org for more information about this issue.
- Click on the “Take Action” button and follow instructions.
- Register and send your message. For the name of your credit union, simply enter “VIRGINIA” to select “VIRGINIA CU INC”
- Call (877) 642-4223, enter your zip code, and follow the instructions to reach your Senators and Representative.
- Follow the prompts to speak to a staff member in each office.
- Tell the staff member,
“My name is _______ and I am a member of Virginia Credit Union. I am calling with an important message I would like you to pass along to the Senator / Representative. The Credit Union tax exemption must be preserved. Don’t tax my credit union!”