Virginia Credit Union is a not-for-profit financial cooperative owned by our members. Our vision is to be our members’ trusted provider of financial services, helping them achieve greater success.
We offer affordable products and services to meet our members’ diverse needs and help them get ahead financially. We treat all members fairly, with dignity and respect, and look for ways to reach out to the unserved and underserved in our field of membership.
We place importance on consumer education. We are committed to serving our diverse communities, and our commitment and actions are consistent with the credit union philosophy of “people helping people.”
We monitor and communicate about our services in meaningful ways so members, potential members, lawmakers, regulators and the community will understand and appreciate the unique role of credit unions.
Service to Members
Our services are designed to help members from all walks of life achieve greater financial success.
Examples of services that help improve the economic and social well being of members:
- Free checking with no minimum balance, no monthly service charge
- Free, convenient access in person, by phone and online
- Free online banking and bill pay; mobile banking and mobile deposit
- Free automatic savings programs to make saving easier
- Personal loans for as little as $100
- Low-cost credit cards with reasonable rates and fewer fees
- First-time homebuyers and other mortgage programs that help more members buy homes
- Free credit counseling, budgeting assistance and debt management programs
- Personal financial management programs available with no cost or obligation for consultation
- Scholarships awarded annually to assist members with a college education
- Multilingual, interpretive service to help meet needs of our diverse membership
We are committed to educating members about financial matters.
Programs that support member education and advocacy:
- Free financial education seminars on home buying, budgeting, credit, identity theft, other topics
- Youth financial education programs
- Newsletters and online tools and resources to help members make good financial choices
- One-on-one member education based on their personal needs
Community Service & Corporate Citizenship
An active partner in our communities, we provide financial education, volunteer service, monetary and in-kind contributions to various organizations. Good corporate citizenship helps raise the overall level of social and economic well being of our communities, strengthens ties with our communities and helps us reach out to those in greatest need of affordable financial services.
Examples of public service activities and groups receiving financial or other support:
- Financial educational programs for students, teachers, work groups and the community
- Chambers of Commerce
- Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals
- Commonwealth of Virginia Campaign annual employee-giving program
- Communities in Schools
- Food banks in Richmond, Farmville and Fredericksburg
- J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College Middle College program
- Virginia Council on Economic Education
- Virginia Mentoring Partnership
- Virginia Blood Services
- Free meeting space for member-related organizations
Commitment to the Credit Union Cooperative Movement
We work to build and strengthen credit unions through our commitment to collaboration with others in the credit union community and national cooperative movement. We actively promote the credit union difference at all levels of government and in appropriate public forums.
Examples of activities that support the credit union cooperative movement:
- Joint public education and community service
- Education of lawmakers
- Active participation, support and leadership roles in national and local credit union organizations
back to top